Calif. woman tries to steal newborn in tote bag
GARDEN GROVE, CA -- A woman caught trying to steal a newborn girl from a Southern California hospital had faked a pregnancy with her estranged husband, and needed the baby to continue the deception after her due date passed, according to Garden Grove police.
In an effort to pose as a new mom, Grisel Ramirez, 48, allegedly attempted to abduct the baby from Garden Grove Medical Center on Monday, Lt. Jeff Nightengale told The Orange County Register.
"The due date came and went and she needed to produce a baby girl in order to be creditable," Nightengale told the newspaper.
The husband had no knowledge of the attempted kidnapping and was surprised to learn she was going to steal a child to fulfill a baby promise, Nightengale said.
Ramirez also may have been lurking around Western Medical Center-Anaheim on July 26, Nightengale said.
A woman approached several expectant moms and asked their due dates until someone became suspicious and alerted hospital staff, who alerted police, Nightengale said.
Garden Grove Medical Center Director Sofia Abrina told reporters Tuesday that Ramirez presented herself as a visitor who wanted to visit a patient when she entered the hospital Monday.
Abrina said when a sensor attached to a bracelet around the baby's ankle set off alarms, everyone in the ward began searching and running head counts on patients until Ramirez was apprehended.
The baby wasn't harmed and was returned to the care of her mother.
Authorities have not yet filed any charges against Ramirez.
Ramirez, a waitress, is being held without bail and is due for arraignment Wednesday.
- Galveston judge indicted on felony charges
- Constable Trevino: Good intentions gone too far?
- OK residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Consumer Reports lists best, worst airlines
- Deputy's family speaks out about his death
- 'Nashville' show putting spotlight on Music City
- 2017 Super Bowl means transformations for downtown
- Will Dome still be standing come Super Bowl time?
- Meet Houston Symphony's newest music director
- Game warden kills alligator on street in Clear Lake
- 1 child dead, 1 missing in Minn. park landslide
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 5 modern day health woes, solved
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone