Cops: Tot left at NY beach after day care outing
EAST ISLIP, NY -- Police say a day care center left a 2-year-old girl behind on a New York beach after a group outing and called authorities three hours later to see if anyone had found her.
State park police say a woman told them that the toddler had been playing with her child Tuesday at Heckscher State Park. When the woman wanted to leave at 3:30 p.m., she started wondering where the child's mother was.
Newsday reports that Our Little Darlings Day Care in Bay Shore called police three hours later to ask whether the girl had been found.
The child wasn't harmed and has been returned to her distraught mother.
Police say no charges have been filed. The investigation is continuing.
The day care center couldn't be reached for comment.
- Severe weather possible this morning 16 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses