Woman who rescued animals is killed in dog attack
DECATUR, GA -- Police outside Atlanta say a college student who took in abandoned animals was attacked and killed by a dog.
DeKalb County police tell The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (http://bit.ly/TIau2T) that 23-year-old Rebecca Carey was killed at her Decatur home sometime over the weekend.
Authorities say Carey had five dogs living with her at the time of her death. They included a pit bull she had owned for six years. Other dogs included a boxer mix she had taken in and a Presa, a large Spanish breed. Authorities say she was also dogsitting another Presa for a friend.
The friend discovered her body Sunday afternoon after Carey failed to show up for work at Alpharetta's Loving Hands Animal Clinic.
DeKalb County police spokeswoman Mekka Parish says all of the dogs were euthanized Wednesday.
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change 3 min ago
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1 2 min ago
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail
- No charges for Harris Co. judge accused of falsifying records
- Video: Health care sign up deadline approaching