CSX train derails outside Baltimore, killing 2
ELLICOTT CITY, MD -- A CSX train hauling coal derailed and fell from a bridge in Ellicott City outside Baltimore, killing two people and crushing vehicles in a parking lot, authorities said.
Twenty-one of the train's 80 cars flipped over around midnight Monday, Howard County officials said. Some of the train cars crushed parked vehicles in a nearby county-owned lot, County Executive Ken Ulman said. Cranes were brought in Tuesday morning to remove train cars from the vehicles so they can be searched for other potential victims.
"Many of those train cars fell onto automobiles, literally fell onto automobiles with the coal," said Ulman. "So you have massive piles of coal and heavy train cars on top of automobiles."
The two people who were killed were on the rail bridge and were not railroad employees. The victims' identities were not immediately released.
Two train operators were not harmed, officials said.
Jill Farrell, a 35-year-old assistant professor who lives across the street from the tracks, said she heard what sounded liked brakes being slammed and then a huge crash. "It actually sounded like trains went off the tracks, and then silence."
Farrell said the tracks are easily accessible and in an area where there are several bars.
CSX spokesman Bob Sullivan told WJLA-TV in Washington that the train was traveling from Grafton, W.Va., to Baltimore.
It's unclear what caused the crash. A CSX team was investigating.
Streets in the area were closed early Tuesday.
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home 29 min ago
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy 39 min ago
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Robber dashes out of vision store with pricy shades
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo 11 min ago
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson off the show after gay remark
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
- Jury reaches verdict in disputed Farrah Fawcett portrait 53 min ago
- Houston psychic sued over 'love ritual'
- Houston man charged with murder in wife's shooting death
- Valuable artifacts stolen from historic home 7 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos