Mom asks motorists to help daughter seeking kidney
BAY CITY, MI -- A Michigan mother desperate to find a kidney donor for her 10-year-old daughter is taking to the streets, using signs to ask passing motorists.
Stacey Schwerin says she wasn't looking for cash when she held a sign asking drivers to get tested last week along a street in Bay City, about 100 miles northwest of Detroit.
Schwerin says she just wants to help her daughter, Jessica, who was diagnosed last month with chronic kidney failure.
Jessica is on Michigan's organ donor registry. She's also facing dialysis treatments that pose significant geographic and financial challenges for her family.
Her mother tells MLiv.com that several people have offered money, but she turned them down. She just wants to find a donor.
She says she can't be a donor because of health problems.
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names 39 min ago
- Mateo states his case for cupcakes for dinner 57 min ago
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Woman takes out frustration on Pennsylvania reporter
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing