Mom asks motorists to help daughter seeking kidney
BAY CITY, MI -- A Michigan mother desperate to find a kidney donor for her 10-year-old daughter is taking to the streets, using signs to ask passing motorists.
Stacey Schwerin says she wasn't looking for cash when she held a sign asking drivers to get tested last week along a street in Bay City, about 100 miles northwest of Detroit.
Schwerin says she just wants to help her daughter, Jessica, who was diagnosed last month with chronic kidney failure.
Jessica is on Michigan's organ donor registry. She's also facing dialysis treatments that pose significant geographic and financial challenges for her family.
Her mother tells MLiv.com that several people have offered money, but she turned them down. She just wants to find a donor.
She says she can't be a donor because of health problems.
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 25 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Students learn science through unique course