Mom asks motorists to help daughter seeking kidney
BAY CITY, MI -- A Michigan mother desperate to find a kidney donor for her 10-year-old daughter is taking to the streets, using signs to ask passing motorists.
Stacey Schwerin says she wasn't looking for cash when she held a sign asking drivers to get tested last week along a street in Bay City, about 100 miles northwest of Detroit.
Schwerin says she just wants to help her daughter, Jessica, who was diagnosed last month with chronic kidney failure.
Jessica is on Michigan's organ donor registry. She's also facing dialysis treatments that pose significant geographic and financial challenges for her family.
Her mother tells MLiv.com that several people have offered money, but she turned them down. She just wants to find a donor.
She says she can't be a donor because of health problems.
- NASA hopes to avoid emergency spacewalk on ISS
- Woman's life spared by inches in freak accident
- Cyclists ride to honor woman killed in hit-and-run
- Witnesses pull woman from fiery wreck
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Shoppers getting excuses instead of packages
- California man accused of running 'revenge porn' site
- No jail for teen whose lawyers argued 'affluenza'
- Two of 3 suspected burglars caught in the act 8 min ago
- Dead leopard, other swag snagged at mansion party
- Photos: Time's Person of the Year: The unchosen
- Restaurant robbery attempt foiled by quick-thinking worker
- Exxon Mobil building evacuated due to fire on roof
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations