Seven crashes with 46 vehicles cause delays on I-75
SARASOTA, FL -- Authorities say dozens of travelers have been injured -- but no one killed -- in a major pileup on Interstate 75 along Florida's Gulf Coast.
The Florida Highway Patrol reported Friday evening that 52 people were transported to area hospitals after at least 12 crashes involving 47 vehicles on southbound Interstate 75.
The collisions occurred Friday afternoon near the border of Sarasota and Manatee counties.
A stretch of southbound I-75 was closed for several hours Friday as the scene was cleared, but the highway patrol reported just after 9 p.m. that the section is now open.
Authorities didn't immediately report the cause of the collisions.
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk 56 min ago
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind 1 min ago
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud 20 min ago
- New Houston light rail line to open for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting 40 min ago
- Deputies shut down game room in NE Houston
- Man barricades himself in house after allegedly killing wife 49 min ago
- 4 arrested on murder charges in NJ mall carjacking 18 min ago
- Ice pellets and snow frustrate holiday travel rush
- 'Topless' protest falls flat on Brazil beach
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?