Seven crashes with 46 vehicles cause delays on I-75
SARASOTA, FL -- Authorities say dozens of travelers have been injured -- but no one killed -- in a major pileup on Interstate 75 along Florida's Gulf Coast.
The Florida Highway Patrol reported Friday evening that 52 people were transported to area hospitals after at least 12 crashes involving 47 vehicles on southbound Interstate 75.
The collisions occurred Friday afternoon near the border of Sarasota and Manatee counties.
A stretch of southbound I-75 was closed for several hours Friday as the scene was cleared, but the highway patrol reported just after 9 p.m. that the section is now open.
Authorities didn't immediately report the cause of the collisions.
- Bridge collapses in NW Washington; people in water 5 min ago
- Innocent mom killed, kids injured at end of chase
- Boy Scouts to allow openly gay Scouts in its ranks
- NOAA: 'Above normal' hurricane season for 2013
- Cancer drugs for children remain scarce in U.S.
- Drivers warned about possible police impersonator in Liberty...
- 2 remaining suspects in Alief murders arrested
- Judge declares mistrial in Jodi Arias penalty phase
- New funding to help Houston deal with water demands
- Houston one of fastest growing cities in US
- Photos: Most Wanted FBI Fugitives
- otrc: Brad Pitt screens 'World War Z' 11 min ago
- abcnews: Bars accused of serving rubbing alcohol 5 min ago
- Video: GRAPHIC: Deputy shot during traffic stop in...
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos