Louisiana woman says 3 racist men set her on fire
NEW ORLEANS, LA -- A 20-year-old black woman told police she was set on fire by three men who wrote the initials KKK and a racial slur on her car in northeastern Louisiana.
Louisiana State Police spokeswoman Lt. Julie Lewis says Sharmeka Moffitt was found with burns on more than half of her body when police responded to her 911 call Sunday night.
Moffitt was in critical condition Monday at a hospital. Lewis said the FBI is investigating the attack as a possible hate crime, but that no arrests had been made as of late Monday.
Moffitt told police the men doused her in a flammable liquid and set her on fire in a town park. Lewis said she extinguished the fire using water from a spigot before a police officer arrived.
- Woman found dead inside burned out home
- Six UH students reportedly robbed on campus 31 min ago
- Three Webster officers accused of using excessive force
- HPD: Husband dies in attempted murder-suicide
- Man accused of plotting to detonate bomb at Wichita airport 12 min ago
- Woman who went for smoke outside found dead on porch
- Fugitive Friday: Help find suspect in sexual assault of child
- Swimmer nabs monster lobster with bare hands
- Astronaut may get Christmas wish for spacewalk
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Sales brisk for tonight's $425M Mega Millions game
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
- Beyonce's holiday surprise
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos