Louisiana woman says 3 racist men set her on fire
NEW ORLEANS, LA -- A 20-year-old black woman told police she was set on fire by three men who wrote the initials KKK and a racial slur on her car in northeastern Louisiana.
Louisiana State Police spokeswoman Lt. Julie Lewis says Sharmeka Moffitt was found with burns on more than half of her body when police responded to her 911 call Sunday night.
Moffitt was in critical condition Monday at a hospital. Lewis said the FBI is investigating the attack as a possible hate crime, but that no arrests had been made as of late Monday.
Moffitt told police the men doused her in a flammable liquid and set her on fire in a town park. Lewis said she extinguished the fire using water from a spigot before a police officer arrived.
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma twister
- Houston will host Super Bowl LI in 2017 1 min ago
- Alligator found between homes in Fort Bend County
- Fight at bar ends in fatal shooting in NW Harris Co. 1 min ago
- Katy Fire Chief indicted in Valium fraud case
- Child abducted walking home from school 11 min ago
- Enormous python caught in Florida
- Is Pope Francis an exorcist?
- Minor spill, tar balls cleaned up at Galveston
- Two people found on church roof arrested for trespassing
- Photos: Dancing with the Stars Finals
- otrc: No more Oscars for Seth MacFarlane
- abcnews: 'Very graphic' devastation at OK elem. school
- Video: OK tornado caught on cell phone
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos