Ga. mother accused of stabbing newborn to death
ATHENS, GA -- Police in north Georgia say an infant was stabbed to death at an Athens house, hours after being born.
Athens-Clarke police say the newborn's 21-year-old mother, Cassandra Elyse Norwood, has been charged with murder in connection with the baby's death Thursday afternoon.
The Athens Banner-Herald reports that Norwood was under guard at a hospital, where she was being treated for blood loss from giving birth. It wasn't clear early Friday whether she has an attorney.
Athens-Clarke police Capt. Clarence Holeman said investigators determined the baby boy was born in the home where she lived with her parents and other family members.
Police say Norwood was alone in one part of the house when she gave birth without anyone else knowing.
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide 30 min ago
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Man shot in Bellaire-area parking lot 45 min ago
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Ice and snow frustrate US holiday travel rush 42 min ago
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Elf on the Shelf stress hits some parents hard
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Travis Herzog's weather forecast
58 min ago