Ga. mother accused of stabbing newborn to death
ATHENS, GA -- Police in north Georgia say an infant was stabbed to death at an Athens house, hours after being born.
Athens-Clarke police say the newborn's 21-year-old mother, Cassandra Elyse Norwood, has been charged with murder in connection with the baby's death Thursday afternoon.
The Athens Banner-Herald reports that Norwood was under guard at a hospital, where she was being treated for blood loss from giving birth. It wasn't clear early Friday whether she has an attorney.
Athens-Clarke police Capt. Clarence Holeman said investigators determined the baby boy was born in the home where she lived with her parents and other family members.
Police say Norwood was alone in one part of the house when she gave birth without anyone else knowing.
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck 51 min ago
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir 52 min ago
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center 10 min ago
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Arrest made in fatal shooting of security guard 59 min ago
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies 26 min ago
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line 26 min ago
- Behold, the pizza cake 19 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Teacher denies sex crimes in YouTube case 34 min ago
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom 36 min ago