Elmo puppeteer accused of underage relationship
NEW YORK -- The puppeteer who performs as Elmo on "Sesame Street" is taking a leave of absence from the popular kids' show following allegations that he had a relationship with a 16-year-old boy.
Sesame Workshop says puppeteer Kevin Clash denies the charges, which were first made in June by the alleged partner, who by then was 23.
In a statement issued Monday, Sesame Workshop said its investigation found the allegation of underage conduct to be unsubstantiated. But it said Clash exercised "poor judgment" and was disciplined for violating company policy regarding Internet usage. It offered no details.
At his request, Clash has been granted a leave of absence in order to "protect his reputation," Sesame Workshop says. No duration for the leave was specified. Clash has voiced and animated Elmo since the 1980s.
- Body of postal worker found in burned out Jeep
- Boy, 6, drowns in Fort Bend County pool
- Another record could fall before Powerball drawing 22 min ago
- Witnesses rescue woman from kidnapping attempt
- Star Trek shuttle craft to be displayed in Houston 24 min ago
- Robbery suspects lead police on overnight chase
- Officer hurt when driver hits cruiser in NW Houston
- Nuisance buildings around Houston coming down today
- Triathletes pushing themselves today in The Woodlands
- 300-pound man dies after cops use stun gun
- Granbury residents prepare to return home
- otrc: Meet the new Star Trek villain
- abcnews: Passenger jet makes belly landing in Newark
- Video: Trapped ducklings saved by phone app
- What does it look like to be eaten by a bear?
12 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos