Ohio woman who drove on sidewalk holds 'idiot' sign
CLEVELAND, OH -- A woman caught on camera driving on a sidewalk to pass a Cleveland school bus that was unloading children stood in the cold Tuesday at an intersection holding a sign warning people about idiots.
A Cleveland Municipal Court judge ordered 32-year-old Shena Hardin to serve the highly public sentence for one hour Tuesday and Wednesday for the Sept. 11 citation.
She arrived bundled up against the 34-degree cold, puffing a cigarette and wearing head phones as passing vehicles honked.
Satellite TV trucks were on hand to stream the event live near downtown Cleveland.
The sign read: "Only an idiot would drive on the sidewalk to avoid a school bus."
Hardin refused to comment, as did her mother, who watched from a parked car.
Hardin's license was suspended for 30 days and she was ordered to pay $250 in court costs.
Lisa Kelley, whose 9-year-old daughter boards the bus which Hardin had been passing on the sidewalk, said the sentence fit the crime.
"She's an idiot, just like her sign says," Kelley said as she watched Hardin lean against a fence, her head down and her eyes hidden by dark glasses.
"She did this almost every day last year," Kelley said. "She won't stop laughing. She's not remorseful, she laughed at every court appearance. She's still laughing, so she needs to be humiliated like this."
Kelley said she was only sorry the woman was standing in the cold and not the rain or snow.
A message seeking comment was left for Hardin's attorneys.
Bill Lipold, 37, who works nearby in the blue-collar neighborhood of older homes and factories, yelled "Why do you hate kids" to Hardin.
He hopes the punishment works. "How else are you going to stop her from doing it again? She really didn't show remorse for her action after being caught, so you've got to try something," he asked.
With two schools located with two blocks of the location and busy commuter traffic, the area can be risky for youngsters walking to class, Lipold said.
- South Africans mourn, celebrate Mandela
- Winter Weather Advisory issued for northern counties 31 min ago
- Texans fall to Jags for 11th straight loss
- New details emerge about bizarre alleged break-in
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- President Obama remarks on passing of Mandela
- Reaction to passing of Nelson Mandela
- How Mandela changed everything with a rugby jersey
- Ice storm in North Texas cuts power to more than 250K 1 min ago
- Instead of drive-thru breakfast, couple gets bag of cash
- Worker dies in trench collapse in NW Harris County
- They're serious about spitting in Minnesota!
- Business owner turns to social media to find shoplifter
- Move over emerald, a new color will take over next year
- Inexpensive tips to make your present...
39 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos