Teen mom gets 6 years for bid to kill infant
MODESTO, CA -- A teenage California mother has been sentenced to six years in prison for a bid to poison her infant daughter by putting rat poison in her baby bottle.
The Modesto Bee says 18-year-old Cashel Sophia Phin pleaded no contest to soliciting murder and was sentenced on Thursday. Attempted murder and willful poisoning courts were dismissed as part of a plea deal.
The month-old infant was healthy when her mother was arrested in May. She's now in foster care.
Phin told a fellow Modesto High School student that she wanted to kill the infant by throwing her into a trash can.
Police were told that Phin tried to persuade her sister to use rat poison to kill the infant.
A blue substance floating in the bottle was thrown away.
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler 33 min ago
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke 29 min ago
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years 4 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- How to lose the last 10 pounds
- Man killed while trying to cross North Freeway
- Missing stop sign blamed for accident in Montgomery Co.