Teen mom gets 6 years for bid to kill infant
MODESTO, CA -- A teenage California mother has been sentenced to six years in prison for a bid to poison her infant daughter by putting rat poison in her baby bottle.
The Modesto Bee says 18-year-old Cashel Sophia Phin pleaded no contest to soliciting murder and was sentenced on Thursday. Attempted murder and willful poisoning courts were dismissed as part of a plea deal.
The month-old infant was healthy when her mother was arrested in May. She's now in foster care.
Phin told a fellow Modesto High School student that she wanted to kill the infant by throwing her into a trash can.
Police were told that Phin tried to persuade her sister to use rat poison to kill the infant.
A blue substance floating in the bottle was thrown away.
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star 30 min ago
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers 48 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin