3 dead, 1 hurt in shooting in Kansas City suburb
INDEPENDENCE, MO -- Three men broke into a house in a Kansas City suburb early Friday and fatally shot a woman, her son and her boyfriend, police said. A fourth victim was critically injured.
No motive has been established for the shooting at the small home in Independence, but police Capt. John Cato said it was not a random act.
"This was an armed attempted residential robbery," Cato said. "They probably knew or at least were associated with one another."
Cato identified the dead as 48-year-old Maria Hernandez; her boyfriend, Thomas Madrigal; and Hernandez's 20-year-old son, Antonio. The fourth person was not identified.
The shootings were reported around 4:30 a.m., and a search for suspects continued Friday afternoon. At least two of the suspects could be armed, Cato said.
Authorities could be seen removing one body in a silver bag from the house shortly before 3 p.m. Friday.
Neighbors said Hernandez and the other occupants had moved in this past year.
Kirsti Rubino, who lives in the house behind the crime scene, said she heard "banging" sounds around 4:30 a.m. Friday and went outside to see a half-dozen police officers looking around with flashlights.
Rubino said she had met one of the residents, a girl she believed to be about 11 years old. That girl was friends with another neighbor, Rubino said, adding that she was not sure the occupants spoke English.
"There were always cars back there," Rubino said of the occupants. "They would come at night and leave at night but they never did anything that would warrant attention."'
A search of online court records in Jackson County, where Independence and Kansas City are located, did not yield any criminal records that appeared to match any of the three people killed.
- Mother killed in police chase remembered 4 min ago
- Mother of drowned girl uses her story to save lives 4 min ago
- Search wraps up for missing swimmer at San Luis Pass 3 min ago
- Detectives: Road rage leads to fatal shooting 3 min ago
- Girl critical after nearly drowning in Cleveland pond 18 min ago
- San Antonio flooding kills 2; 200-plus rescued 54 min ago
- Protesters across globe rally against Monsanto
- HCSO sergeant killed in crash laid to rest
- Bill modifies concealed handgun licenses
- Warmer weather on its way to Houston area
- Galveston's renovated East Beach makes debut
- Memorial Day weekend also no refusal weekend
- otrc: Mariah has wardrobe malfunction on GMA
- abcnews: Zookeeper dies from tiger attack
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos