Bob Costas advocates for gun control at halftime of NFL game
ARLINGTON, TX -- NBC broadcaster Bob Costas used his halftime segment on "Sunday Night Football" to advocate for gun control following this weekend's murder-suicide involving Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, causing an immediate debate on social media.
In a segment about 90 seconds long, Costas paraphrased and quoted extensively from a piece by Fox Sports columnist Jason Whitlock.
After praising the column, Costas said: "In the coming days, Jovan Belcher's actions and their possible connection to football will be analyzed. Who knows? But here, wrote Jason Whitlock, is what I believe. If Jovan Belcher didn't possess a gun, he and Kasandra Perkins would both be alive today."
Belcher shot and killed Perkins, the mother of his 3-month-old daughter, on Saturday morning, then drove to Arrowhead Stadium and committed suicide in the parking lot of the team's practice facility.
The online reaction to Costas' segment was swift, with many people criticizing the broadcaster for expressing his personal views on a program meant for entertainment.
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery 39 min ago
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale 5 min ago
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal 27 min ago
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather 58 min ago
- Blind man survives fall onto subway tracks
- Recipes to make deep fried treats at home
- Fortune cookie lottery numbers scores NY woman a fortune
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos