Family gets dream home after Superstorm Sandy
AMITY HARBOR, NY -- A family that lost everything when Superstorm Sandy hit, just months after learning their young son is suffering from Leukemia, came home after a trip to Disney to find their dearest wish had come true.
Friends and family greeted the Heckman's of Amity Harbor, Long Island as they arrived home - a trip that was only part of their dream come true.
A brand new home awaited them. Their old one was destroyed by Sandy, but volunteers with the Long Island chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry pitched in and worked around the clock to give the young family more than they ever expected.
6-year-old Steven Heckman was diagnosed with Leukemia last summer, and then things got worse when Sandy hit. However, the generosity of neighbors and strangers has given the family a lot to be thankful for in 2013.
"This is the biggest blessing, a dream come true!" said Daniele Heckman.
The Make-a-Wish foundation got the ball rolling by reaching out to the National Association of the Remodeling Industry. The NARI says their goal was to give the family not just a house, but a home.
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston