Family gets dream home after Superstorm Sandy
AMITY HARBOR, NY -- A family that lost everything when Superstorm Sandy hit, just months after learning their young son is suffering from Leukemia, came home after a trip to Disney to find their dearest wish had come true.
Friends and family greeted the Heckman's of Amity Harbor, Long Island as they arrived home - a trip that was only part of their dream come true.
A brand new home awaited them. Their old one was destroyed by Sandy, but volunteers with the Long Island chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry pitched in and worked around the clock to give the young family more than they ever expected.
6-year-old Steven Heckman was diagnosed with Leukemia last summer, and then things got worse when Sandy hit. However, the generosity of neighbors and strangers has given the family a lot to be thankful for in 2013.
"This is the biggest blessing, a dream come true!" said Daniele Heckman.
The Make-a-Wish foundation got the ball rolling by reaching out to the National Association of the Remodeling Industry. The NARI says their goal was to give the family not just a house, but a home.
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela 1 min ago
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots
- HPD: Baybrook Mall employee abducted, raped
- HISD principal, administrator arrested in Alabama
- Holiday mail: You're running out of time!
- Backyard sinkhole nightmare finally ends
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- Driveway theft of 200lb generator caught on camera
- SAPD: Fatally shot student from Baytown charged officer
- Stockman challenges Cornyn in Texas US Senate race
- Raw sewage seeping into Oak Forest homes
- Restaurant apologizes for racist sign
- Police chase emu down I-35 near Austin
- Video: Wade Phillips on life after Kubiak