40 students in hospital after Tenn. gas leak
NASHVILLE, TN -- More than three dozen students have spent the night in a hospital after carbon monoxide leaked at their Nashville private school.
Drexel Preparatory Academy principal Cheryl Bowman told WTVF-TV students began coming to the office Monday morning complaining of flu-like symptoms. Officials decided to cancel classes.
After students were sent home, the school got a call from Vanderbilt University Children's Hospital, saying several students had been brought in and showed high levels of carbon monoxide.
Hospital spokesman Craig Boerner said Tuesday that 49 students were eventually brought in by parents and 40 of them were admitted for 23 hours of oxygen treatment.
Workers found a hole in a heating unit that serves the central part of the school. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced by combustion.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse 3 min ago
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Big quake strikes off N. California, no tsunami threat 39 min ago
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038 19 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Two charged in death of North Texas student 35 min ago
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire