Collapse of apartment building in Egypt kills 5
CAIRO, Egypt -- An eight-story apartment building collapsed in the Mediterranean port city of Alexandria early on Wednesday, killing five people, including a child, according to Egyptian police officials.
It was not immediately known what caused the collapse, but violations of building specifications have been blamed in the past for similar accidents. The governor of Alexandria, Mohammed Abbas Atta, told Egypt's official news agency that the building was constructed without a permit.
T he police officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media, said rescue teams were searching for survivors under the rubble.
The building collapse came one day after another deadly accident in Egypt that was blamed on negligence. Early on Tuesday just south of Cairo, 19 police conscripts were killed and more than a 100 were injured when the last car of the train they were riding on jumped the tracks, smashed into another train, and then was dragged for several kilometers (miles).
The train wreck fueled anger against President Mohammed Morsi's administration for failing to carry out reform and overhaul the nation's deteriorating public services.
Two months ago, 50 children died when a train rammed into their school bus in southern Egypt. That tragedy also sparked a storm of criticism of Morsi, the country's Islamist leader who took office in June.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown 36 min ago
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck 46 min ago
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 3 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290