U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu resigning
WASHINGTON -- Energy Secretary Steven Chu is stepping down.
The Energy Department said Friday Chu has offered his resignation to President Barack Obama. Chu won a Nobel Prize in physics but came under questioning for his handling of a solar energy loan.
Chu is a former director of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. He drew fire from Republicans who criticized his handling of a $528 million federal loan to solar panel maker Solyndra, which later went bankrupt, laying off its 1,100 workers.
The White House said Chu retained Obama's confidence, but Chu was widely expected to leave following Obama's re-election last fall.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom 27 min ago
- Bicyclist dies after Montrose-area hit-and-run 28 min ago
- Dr. accused of harassing woman she calls 'whore' 43 min ago
- Your pocket change may be worth hundreds 25 min ago
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 Thursday night
- Man, woman found shot at Pearland-area home
- Company offering big reward for return of stolen truck 47 min ago
- Police searching for armed robbery suspect 46 min ago
- Bledsoe leads Suns to 97-88 win over Rockets
- Dad on trial for infant's beating death
- Woman falls through roof, rescued by firefighters
- Man finds his brother murdered in home
- Child killed by falling tree branch
- HPD: Cop impersonator shot man during struggle