Mayor's group sponsors gun control Super Bowl ad
NEW YORK -- A gun control group founded by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is airing a Super Bowl advertisement calling for background checks.
The 30-second spot by Mayors Against Illegal Guns will air in the Washington area during the game between the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers.
The ad calls on lawmakers to pass rules requiring background checks on guns. It is narrated by children, with "America the Beautiful" playing in the background.
It includes decades-old footage of National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre saying the gun lobby group approves of the checks. LaPierre recently testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee that the NRA no longer supports background checks for all gun sales.
A Bloomsberg spokesman would say only that the ad cost in the six-figure range.
Mayors Against Illegal Guns is a coalition of more than 900 mayors from 48 states.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Know the guy in this surveillance video?
- HISD schools may ditch Indian-themed mascots 48 min ago
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood
- Residents say raw sewage is seeping into homes
- Woman's car hits west Houston fire station 38 min ago
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Big rig driver involved in deadly wreck due in court today
- Sarah Palin to host outdoors show 15 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- IAH passengers struggle to reach destinations
- Video: Amazing video from N. Texas after winter...
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools 3 min ago
- Just what we needed - a tougher cockroach