Report: Gunman fires at anti-Islam writer, misses
COPENHAGEN, Denmark -- Danish media are reporting that an unknown gunman has tried to shoot a Danish writer and historian who is a prominent critic of Islam.
TV2 News and the Politiken news site say Lars Hedegaard was not injured in the shooting.
Both say the gunman came up to Hedegaard's Copenhagen home Tuesday on the pretext of delivering a package, and then fired at least one shot but missed the writer.
Copenhagen police confirmed that there had been a shooting without injuries. They wouldn't say whether Hedegaard was the intended target.
Hedegaard heads the International Free Press Society, a group that claims press freedom is under threat from Islam.
He was fined 5,000 kroner ($1,000) in 2011 for making a series of insulting and degrading statements about Muslims.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Two women found dead in Galveston County 18 min ago
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 4 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged 39 min ago
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Video: Generous students get visit from big Texan