Man hopes DeLorean hovercraft displayed over San Francisco Bay will lead to job
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- A California man is hoping a hovercraft he built in the form of a sports car will give him a lift to a new job.
And what better place to show it off than over San Francisco Bay? And if you are going to take the time build one from scratch, why not make it stand out?
Matt Riese has been working on his DeLorean hovercraft for years. Now he's hoping it will land him a job.
"In seventh grade I tried to build a hovercraft that was advertised in a Boy Scouts magazine, but I got lazy and quit a third of the way into it," he said.
Riese has been toying with the idea ever since. In 2007 he drew up plans and in 2008 he started building a new hovercraft from scratch.
"I taught myself how to do it," he said. "I didn't know what I was doing when I started, I just learned as I went."
The design is inspired by Hollywood. In the movie "Back to the Future" a DeLorean was converted into a time machine. Riese's doesn't travel back in time. In fact, it isn't even a real DeLorean. Reiss built it with Styrofoam insulation glued together, sanded down and then covered in fiberglass.
Riese raised more than $5,600 from the crowd funding website Kickstarter to get the project off the ground, but he says it ultimately cost much more to finish project. He took odd jobs while going to graduate school to pay for it.
"[I] also got a master's in political science in that time and became a crab fisherman and some other things," he said.
Now Riese is hoping his hovercraft will grab someone's attention and turn into a real job.
"I figured it sort of proves that I can get things done and be creative and inventive and work hard and see a project through," he said. "So it's, it's my resume."
This story if from our sister station, KGO-TV in San Francisco.
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect 31 min ago
- Helping military families, one child at a time 15 min ago
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man killed by authorities 'Into the wild' hunter
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend 40 min ago
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury? 52 min ago
- Workers recover Bible from rubble of NYC buildings 5 min ago
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days
- Girl, 5, spends day at wrong school
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods
- David Tillman's weather forecast
5 min ago