Police: Man tried to kidnap children at North Carolina school
SOUTHERN PINES, NC -- Police say a North Carolina man walked into a school, showed his ID and tried to take two children. When staff refused, he threatened them.
A spokesperson for the Southern Pines Police Department said 20-year-old Damitri Johan Shaheed Vamper is charged with two felony counts of attempted kidnapping and possession of marijuana after the incident in the 1400 block of W. Indiana Avenue just after 9 a.m. Thursday.
According to an arrest report, Vamper walked into the Head Start building, produced an ID card, and said he was there to collect two children.
Head Start workers did not recognize Vamper, and an investigation showed he had no relationship with the two children he claimed he was there to pick up.
"He said, 'What, I can't have these children? I'll kill if I have to,'" recalled Head Start Director Veleda McCormick. "And I said 'Well baby, you're not going to kill anybody here today, I'mma need you to leave the building.' and at that point is when I got him out of the building."
McCormick said once she was able to get Vamper out of the building, the police were called and the Head Start program was put into lockdown. Vamper was arrested a short distance away from the school.
Police said they found him directing traffic at Highway 15 and Morganton Road. Vamper was taken to the Moore County Jail where he was being held under a $150,000 bond.
Vamper's grandfather spoke with our sister station, WTVD-TV in North Carolina Friday. He told us his grandson is bipolar, schizophrenic and was in the hospital a couple of days ago.
"When I heard, I said 'Oh God, what has this boy done now?" said Joseph Vamper.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
north carolina, national/world
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County