NY Cardinal Dolan: Startled by pope's announcement
NEW YORK -- New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan says he was as startled as the rest of the world about Pope Benedict XVI's announcement that he will resign later this month due to failing health.
Dolan says he feels a special bond with the pope because he was the one that appointed him archbishop of New York.
Dolan, speaking on the "Today" show Monday, says he wears the ring and the cross the pope gave him.
The pope announced Monday that he would resign Feb. 28 because he's simply too infirm to carry on.
Dolan says the conclave to elect to a new pope would do well to look for the kinds of qualities Pope Benedict possessed: knowledge about the world, a theological depth, personal piety and linguistic talent.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co. 37 min ago
- Frustration mounts for church members 16 min ago
- Former Houstonian in iconic WWII photo dies
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'
- Judge bans gang members from East Aldine Safety Zone
- College students paid to take a year off?
- Lady Gaga addresses difficulties in SXSW keynote
- Rare early map of Texas offered at auction
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's Friday fugitives?
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant