NY Cardinal Dolan: Startled by pope's announcement
NEW YORK -- New York Cardinal Timothy Dolan says he was as startled as the rest of the world about Pope Benedict XVI's announcement that he will resign later this month due to failing health.
Dolan says he feels a special bond with the pope because he was the one that appointed him archbishop of New York.
Dolan, speaking on the "Today" show Monday, says he wears the ring and the cross the pope gave him.
The pope announced Monday that he would resign Feb. 28 because he's simply too infirm to carry on.
Dolan says the conclave to elect to a new pope would do well to look for the kinds of qualities Pope Benedict possessed: knowledge about the world, a theological depth, personal piety and linguistic talent.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill 2 min ago
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally 15 min ago
- Twin boys foil carjacking in San Antonio 23 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain 25 min ago
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Travis Herzog's Friday weather forecast
38 min ago