Wissinoming crash victim gave her life to save husband
WISSINOMING, PA -- The daughters of 58-year-old Teresa Marquard were consumed with grief Monday.
Their beloved mother was killed by a suspected drunk driver as she and her husband of 42 years, Albert, took their regular Sunday morning stroll along Frankford Avenue by Wissinoming Park in Philadelphia.
A man swerved his minivan onto the sidewalk, and Marquard managed to push her husband to safety as the out-of-control vehicle barreled down on them.
She couldn't get out of the way herself, was struck, and was pronounced dead at the scene. Albert was physically unharmed.
"She saved my dad," said daughter Denise Hirschman. "She pushed my dad out of the way. She saved my dad. That was what she cared about. She cared about us more than anything."
"If she didn't do it, it would have been both of them," said daughter Teresa Marquard.
"She saved my dad for us," said Denise.
Police have not yet released the name of the minivan driver. He remains in critical condition at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
At the crash scene, police said they suspected he was driving under the influence. Charges are pending as his critical medical situation continued Monday night.
Teresa Marquard worked for the Philadelphia Family Court. Neighbors held her and her family in high regard.
"She gave up herself for him. It's amazing. It goes to show you what kind of woman she was," neighbor Jimmy Berry told Action News.
"My mom, she's a hero," said daughter Monica Marquard. "And I'm very glad she saved my dad for us, because we'd be lost without both of them."
A viewing for Teresa Marquard has been set for Thursday evening. Funeral services will be held Friday morning.
The story is from WPVI-TV, our sister station in Philadelphia.
philadelphia, wissinoming, shooting, DUI, national/world
- Man shot outside restaurant drives family to safety 57 min ago
- Severe weather clears, leaves damage behind
- Houston mayor weighs in on 'Duck Dynasty' feud
- Houston couple dead in apparent murder-suicide 57 min ago
- NASA astronauts complete first spacewalk
- Constable: Teen admits shooting out car windows 55 min ago
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado school dies
- Chase restricts cards affected by Target breach
- New Houston light rail line opens for business
- 1 dead, 1 injured in drive-by double shooting
- Katy blows late lead, falls to Cedar Hill in title game 2 min ago
- Allen tops Pearland 63-28, defends 5A D-I title 2 min ago
- Aledo beats Brenham 38-10 for 4th title in 5 years 1 min ago
- Things you didn't know about reindeer