5 Things to Know for Today
Friday, December 20, 2013
Your daily look at five things that will be talked about today:
- SERIAL KILLER FAILS TO RETURN TO PRISON Authorities in Italy are conducting a manhunt after a serial was given a weekend pass to visit his mother and never came back.
- FANS AND FAMILY RALLY AROUND 'DUCK DYNASTY' STAR When A&E suspended "Duck Dynasty" patriarch Phil Robertson for disparaging gay people, it ruffled the feathers of possibly millions of fans of its most popular show.
- WHERE FAKE SMOKES FACE REAL BAN New York City lawmakers vote to ban e-cigarettes from restaurants, bars and city parks in a measure Mayor Bloomberg is expected to sign.
- WHEN 'FAKE' ISN'T A BAD THING UNDER THE CHRISTMAS TREE Faux is the new black this season for holiday gifts. But this isn't the "pleather" of the 1980s - that cheap, plastic-looking material made popular by Michael Jackson during his "Thriller" days.
- NO JACKET NEEDED Dense fog remains along the coast. Visibility is still close to zero in Galveston. No major fog problems in our inland areas. Mostly cloudy, breezy, humid, with a few passing showers today. Temperatures are still well above average. Look for highs close to 80° today and tomorrow. We're expecting a round of rain and storms on Saturday. Some storms could be strong to severe, with damaging winds the biggest severe weather threat for our area. Rainfall totals will likely range from a half inch to possibly more than 2 inches in a few spots. This storm system will approach from the west very quickly and likely clear out of our area by Saturday evening. Cooler, drier air settles in for Sunday and sticks around through early next week.
Download our weather app
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Severe weather possible Saturday morning
- Mom devastated by tragedy pushes for change
- Three Harris County deaths related to H1N1
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Santa sparks impromptu marriage ceremony
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Police: Teen admits shooting out car windows
- Foul weather threatens to snarl US holiday travel
- Obama: '2014 can be a breakthrough year'
- Turning those holiday gift cards into cash
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Video: Harris County inmates get early Christmas
- FBISD approves new GPA-exempt courses
- Man tries to grab woman jogging on trail
abc13.com News Links