German woman convicted for killing her 5 newborns
BERLIN, Germany -- A German court has convicted a woman of manslaughter and sentenced her to nine years in prison for killing five of her newborn babies.
The 29-year-old woman, whose name hasn't been released in keeping with German privacy rules, turned herself in to authorities last September. Prosecutors said then that she killed the infants shortly after giving birth in secret at home or in the woods because she worried her husband would leave her if she had any more children.
The state court in Flensburg, on Germany's border with Denmark, convicted her Thursday of five counts of manslaughter, the dpa news agency reported. Prosecutors had sought a 10-year sentence and the defense a seven-year term.
The babies were born between 2006 and 2012. The woman has two living children.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course