German woman convicted for killing her 5 newborns
BERLIN, Germany -- A German court has convicted a woman of manslaughter and sentenced her to nine years in prison for killing five of her newborn babies.
The 29-year-old woman, whose name hasn't been released in keeping with German privacy rules, turned herself in to authorities last September. Prosecutors said then that she killed the infants shortly after giving birth in secret at home or in the woods because she worried her husband would leave her if she had any more children.
The state court in Flensburg, on Germany's border with Denmark, convicted her Thursday of five counts of manslaughter, the dpa news agency reported. Prosecutors had sought a 10-year sentence and the defense a seven-year term.
The babies were born between 2006 and 2012. The woman has two living children.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico 4 min ago
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest