Woman wins $40M, not $40K, in Canada lottery
TORONTO, Canada -- Maria Carreiro, a 51-year-old Toronto grandmother, was shocked to discover the winning Lotto Max ticket in her pocket was worth a staggering $40 million dollars after mistakenly thinking it was only $40,000.
At a press conference held by the Ontario lottery, Carreiro said that she and her husband would be headed for a honeymoon in Hawaii and all-you-can-eat buffet for the entire family.
"I never had a honeymoon. For 30 years I've been married to my husband," she said.
Carreiro couldn't contain her excitement. The mother of three and grandmother of five called it fate. After 20 years of playing the same numbers - her children's birthdays - she decide to change it up and went for a quick-pick at a variety store on Eglinton in Toronto. She says her regular numbers were randomly selected.
"Thank you Lord, thank you Lord. I love you!" she said. "When they put it through the machines, that's when it clicked in. 'Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God."
At first, she thought the prize was $40,000, then realized later with her daughter the jackpot was actually much larger.
"I run up the stairs, and me and her run down the stairs, and she went on the computer. and said, 'Mommy, you're $40 million richer,' and I said, 'No way," Carreiro said.
"It still hasn't sunk in. you know my dad works so hard and we've been struggling so much. It's $40 million; it's so much money," said daughter Manuela.
This story was reported by KTRK-TV's sister station, WLS-TV in Chicago.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Push-up jeans promise bigger booty
- Blind man survives fall onto subway tracks
- Recipes to make deep fried treats at home
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos