Woman wins $40M, not $40K, in Canada lottery
TORONTO, Canada -- Maria Carreiro, a 51-year-old Toronto grandmother, was shocked to discover the winning Lotto Max ticket in her pocket was worth a staggering $40 million dollars after mistakenly thinking it was only $40,000.
At a press conference held by the Ontario lottery, Carreiro said that she and her husband would be headed for a honeymoon in Hawaii and all-you-can-eat buffet for the entire family.
"I never had a honeymoon. For 30 years I've been married to my husband," she said.
Carreiro couldn't contain her excitement. The mother of three and grandmother of five called it fate. After 20 years of playing the same numbers - her children's birthdays - she decide to change it up and went for a quick-pick at a variety store on Eglinton in Toronto. She says her regular numbers were randomly selected.
"Thank you Lord, thank you Lord. I love you!" she said. "When they put it through the machines, that's when it clicked in. 'Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God."
At first, she thought the prize was $40,000, then realized later with her daughter the jackpot was actually much larger.
"I run up the stairs, and me and her run down the stairs, and she went on the computer. and said, 'Mommy, you're $40 million richer,' and I said, 'No way," Carreiro said.
"It still hasn't sunk in. you know my dad works so hard and we've been struggling so much. It's $40 million; it's so much money," said daughter Manuela.
This story was reported by KTRK-TV's sister station, WLS-TV in Chicago.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston 2 min ago
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls 39 min ago
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage 47 min ago
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 13 min ago
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Travis Herzog's Monday weather forecast
57 min ago
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
38 min ago