Fire department smashes windows of car parked blocking fire hydrant to battle house fire
FRESNO, CA -- A California fire department is developing quite a following on the Internet, for a hard-hitting reminder why you should never park in front of a fire hydrant.
The photos were taken at the scene of a fire in Merced, and have been circulating online with headings like "Reasons Why You Should Never Park in front of a Fire Hydrant."
The car was blocking a hydrant in front of a fire at a marijuana grow house with 3,000 pot plants inside. But it's the car that blocked the hydrant everyone remembers.
Firemen say it's rare that they have to do this, but it's crucial to keep the hose straight, a kink could cut the water supply in half. They also say they've been "hosing" cars when necessary for decades, and expressed little sympathy for the shattered windows.
CNN and KTRK-TV's sister station, KFSN-TV in Fresno, California, contributed to this report.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Boy, 4, saves family from overnight fire
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Brightening the holiday for underprivileged kids
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- SW Houston family loses puppy in overnight fire
- Boy, 10, dies after being trapped in snowbank
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Three Webster officers go before judge today