Marathon bombing suspects had been on welfare
BOSTON, MA -- The suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings killed in a shootout with police received welfare benefits from the state up until last year, when he became ineligible based on family income.
A spokesman for the state Office of Health and Human Services on Wednesday confirmed a Boston Herald report that 26-year-old Tamerlan Tsarnaev, his wife and their toddler daughter had received benefits.
A lawyer for his wife, Katherine Russell Tsarnaeva, has said that she worked 70 to 80 hours per week as a home health aide while her husband cared for their daughter.
The state says both Tsarnaev and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev -- his brother and the other bombing suspect -- received welfare benefits as children through their parents while the family lived in Massachusetts.
Neither was receiving benefits at the time of the bombing.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
boston marathon explosions, national/world
- HPD: Homeless man kills armed burglar
- Bank-robbing dad gets 24 years in prison
- Dr. accused of writing 'whore' on woman's mirror
- Couple accusing neighbor of recording their bedroom
- Texans vs. Jags on ABC13 tonight
- Topless woman chases peeping tom through store
- Officials: Texas teacher shot, killed in Benghazi
- No charges for FSU QB accused of rape 6 min ago
- Burning stolen truck missing $180,000 of tools
- Fast food workers plan to again protest wages
- 5 Things to Know for Today
- Ford unveils all-new Mustang
- Video: Beer is for more than just drinking!
- Can you say this tongue twister?