Officials: 19 killed in car bombings in south Iraq
BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Three car bombs exploded Monday in public areas in two cities in Iraq's largely calm Shiite Muslim south, killing 19 civilians and wounding dozens, officials said.
The attacks come amid a week-long spike in sectarian violence following clashes at a Sunni protest camp in the north of the country.
Two parked car bombs went off simultaneously Monday morning in the city of Amarah near a gathering of construction workers and a market, killing 12 civilians and wounding 25, according to police. Amarah is located 320 kilometers (200 miles) southeast of Baghdad.
Another police officer said a parked car bomb exploded near a restaurant in the city of Diwaniyah, killing seven civilians and wounding 15 others. The city is located 130 kilometers (80 miles) south of Baghdad.
Two medical officials confirmed the casualty figures. All officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorized to release information.
Sectarian violence has spiked since Tuesday, when security forces tried to make arrests at a Sunni Muslim protest camp in the northern city of Hawija. The move set off a clash that killed 23 people, including three soldiers.
The Hawija incident and a spate of follow-up battles between gunmen and security forces as well as other attacks, including Monday's, have left around 200 dead in the last week.
Bomb attacks are relatively rare in Iraq's relatively peaceful southern Shiite cities.
No one has claimed responsibility for Monday's attacks, but coordinated bombings in civilian areas are a favorite strategy used by al-Qaida in Iraq.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- weather: Storms moving through southeast Texas
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Hail storm moved quickly across viewing area 8 min ago
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo 32 min ago
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap
- Hail comes down in Stafford
50 min ago