Lawyers: Ohio kidnap suspect will plead not guilty
CLEVELAND, OH -- The attorneys for a Cleveland man accused of keeping three women in captivity for about a decade say he will plead not guilty.
Attorneys Craig Weintraub and Jay Schlachet tell WKYC-TV that suspect Ariel Castro has been portrayed as a "monster" in the media, and after meeting with him Tuesday they don't see him that way.
Weintraub says it's unfair and offensive that "the media and the community want to demonize this man before they know the whole story."
Schlachet says details of Castro's innocence "will be disclosed as the case progresses."
Weintraub also says Castro "loves dearly" the child he fathered with alleged kidnap victim Amanda Berry while she was in captivity.
Castro is charged with kidnapping and raping Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck 11 min ago
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger' 53 min ago
- Motorcycle chase ends in fiery crash with patrol vehicle 31 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- Teen faces sexting charges following social media mistake
- Vandals dressed up like rock stars go on rampage
- Travis Herzog's Friday weather forecast
14 min ago