Lawyers: Ohio kidnap suspect will plead not guilty
CLEVELAND, OH -- The attorneys for a Cleveland man accused of keeping three women in captivity for about a decade say he will plead not guilty.
Attorneys Craig Weintraub and Jay Schlachet tell WKYC-TV that suspect Ariel Castro has been portrayed as a "monster" in the media, and after meeting with him Tuesday they don't see him that way.
Weintraub says it's unfair and offensive that "the media and the community want to demonize this man before they know the whole story."
Schlachet says details of Castro's innocence "will be disclosed as the case progresses."
Weintraub also says Castro "loves dearly" the child he fathered with alleged kidnap victim Amanda Berry while she was in captivity.
Castro is charged with kidnapping and raping Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, Android and Blackberry devices
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290 25 min ago
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case 8 min ago
- Student reports near abduction while leaving HISD school 34 min ago
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston