Maine man charged after son takes gun to day care
HALLOWELL, ME -- The father of a 4-year-old who brought his dad's loaded handgun to a Maine day care center has been charged with reckless conduct.
Prosecutors said Wednesday that 31-year-old Adam Keene of Madison will be summoned to court to face the misdemeanor charge.
District Attorney Maeghan Maloney says Keene acted in a manner that could have ended in tragedy, but because she thinks his acts were unintentional, he won't face a felony charge.
Police say an employee found the .380 caliber semi-automatic handgun in a bag the boy brought to Rollins Family Child Care Center in Hallowell on April 23. The gun's safety was on, but a round was in the chamber.
Keene owned the gun legally.
His lawyer tells the Kennebec Journal his client was "horrified" by what happened.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 5 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects