Betting agencies have big day on royal baby names
LONDON -- Bookies are having a banner day as thousands of Britons place bets on the name of the child that will be born to Prince William and his wife, Kate.
Ladbrokes took 50,000 bets in the hours after the Duchess of Cambridge went into labor Monday. Company spokesman Alex Donohue says the public has rushed to put small amounts of money -- such as a pound -- on the soon-to- be-born royal infant's name because they "want to be involved."
"Never underestimate the British public's obsession with the royal family," he said.
So far, the money is on Alexandra for a girl and James for a boy.
The public may have to wait, though. It is not uncommon for the palace to take its time to choose just the right name.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos