Betting agencies have big day on royal baby names
LONDON -- Bookies are having a banner day as thousands of Britons place bets on the name of the child that will be born to Prince William and his wife, Kate.
Ladbrokes took 50,000 bets in the hours after the Duchess of Cambridge went into labor Monday. Company spokesman Alex Donohue says the public has rushed to put small amounts of money -- such as a pound -- on the soon-to- be-born royal infant's name because they "want to be involved."
"Never underestimate the British public's obsession with the royal family," he said.
So far, the money is on Alexandra for a girl and James for a boy.
The public may have to wait, though. It is not uncommon for the palace to take its time to choose just the right name.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena 21 min ago
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?'
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight
- Dying child receives experimental drug
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon
- First the wind, then the cold