Ohio couple married 65 years die 11 hours apart
DAYTON, OH -- Relatives of an Ohio couple who died at a nursing home 11 hours apart on the same day say their love story's ending reflects their devotion over 65 years of marriage.
The Dayton Daily News reports that Harold and Ruth Knapke died in their shared room Aug. 11, days before their 66th anniversary.
Their daughters say they believe their father willed himself to stay with his wife despite failing health until they could take the next step in their journey together. He went first; she followed.
They had a joint funeral Mass, with granddaughters carrying Ruth's casket and grandsons carrying Harold's casket. The cemetery procession stopped at the farm house where the couple had raised six children. The current owners surprised the family by flying a flag at half-staff.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Texans reportedly release TE Owen Daniels 55 min ago
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be? 43 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns' 35 min ago
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret 42 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'
- Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret
42 min ago
- Residents upset over planned housing project
38 min ago