Ohio couple married 65 years die 11 hours apart
DAYTON, OH -- Relatives of an Ohio couple who died at a nursing home 11 hours apart on the same day say their love story's ending reflects their devotion over 65 years of marriage.
The Dayton Daily News reports that Harold and Ruth Knapke died in their shared room Aug. 11, days before their 66th anniversary.
Their daughters say they believe their father willed himself to stay with his wife despite failing health until they could take the next step in their journey together. He went first; she followed.
They had a joint funeral Mass, with granddaughters carrying Ruth's casket and grandsons carrying Harold's casket. The cemetery procession stopped at the farm house where the couple had raised six children. The current owners surprised the family by flying a flag at half-staff.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Local missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
- Law enforcement training program suspended
- Boy's mouth duct taped for talking in class
- HISD takes steps to replace school mascots
- Woman walking dog near Montrose sexually assaulted
- Former Port of Houston IT director accused of theft
- Recognize the guy in this sketch?
- Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin inks extension
- Kim Jong Un's uncle executed as traitor
- Three Webster officers indicted for official oppression
- Girl, 5, surprises deaf parents at holiday...
- How using free Wi-Fi can really cost you
- Parents want justice for son's shooting death
- Accused stiletto heel killer out on bond