Man killed by remote control helicopter in freak accident in NY park
NEW YORK -- A teenage remote control helicopter enthusiast flying one in a park on Thursday was struck in the head by it and killed.
Roman Pirozek Jr., 19, was pronounced dead at a Brooklyn park near a busy parkway, and initial reports suggested he was killed by the helicopter's blade, police said
The accident occurred in Calvert Vaux Park, where operating remote control helicopters is allowed in designated areas. A club for hobbyists, the Seaview Rotary Wings Helicopter Club, flies its aircraft from a field there.
Pirozek's father, Roman Pirozek, is a vice president of the club. He and other club members didn't return messages seeking comment Thursday.
Police said they didn't suspect any criminal act was involved in the teenager's death. They didn't immediately release the model and make of the helicopter he was flying.
In a YouTube video posted in July by someone named Roman Pirozek Jr., a T-Rex 700N DFC is shown flying around at high speeds in lateral and vertical jolts.
That particular make is on the larger side of remote control helicopters, said Rich Hanson, spokesman for the Muncie, Ind.-based Academy of Model Aeronautics, a membership group of hobbyists.
Hanson said the helicopter has an almost 4 1/2-foot wingspan and can reach speeds of up to 60 mph but is used primarily for tricky, acrobatic maneuvers.
"Flying a RC helicopter is one of the more difficult aircraft to operate," he said. "There are really two common reasons one might go out: pilot error or equipment failure."
Pirozek's death, Hanson said, likely is only the second ever caused by a remote control helicopter in the United States. He said some years ago an instructor in Texas was killed by a remote control helicopter after the student he was teaching lost control of it.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards 31 min ago
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody 53 min ago
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Rescuers rush to reach hundreds in SKorean ferry 38 min ago
- Avalanche sweeps Everest; 6 killed, 9 missing
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas