Jerry Sandusky conviction to get appeals court review
HARRISBURG, PA -- Jerry Sandusky's lawyer and members of the state attorney general's office will be inside a northeastern Pennsylvania courtroom as the former Penn State assistant football coach seeks to have his child molestation conviction overturned.
The state Superior Court proceeding on Tuesday is being held in Wilkes-Barre as part of the court's effort to give more people a chance to see how it operates.
In court filings, the former defensive coordinator has argued his lawyers did not have enough time to prepare and that a prosecutor made an improper reference during the trial to the fact that Sandusky didn't testify on his own behalf.
Sandusky also believes the judge should have issued an instruction to jurors that addressed the length of time it took his victims to report their abuse, which for four of them was more than 11 years.
Prosecutors have said jurors were aware that the defense argued the abuse never occurred, and a key component of the defense was an argument that the victims were inventing stories. They said Sandusky's legal team had plenty of time to prepare, and that the prosecutor referred to a TV interview but not to Sandusky's failure to take the stand.
Sandusky, 69, is serving a 30- to 60-year state prison sentence after being convicted last year of 45 counts of child sexual abuse. He is not expected to attend the oral argument session.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Car slams into two homes in wild crash
- Seatbelt couldn't save teen's life in crash
- Man found shot to death in SE Houston home
- Cigarette blamed for Taco Bell fire in Katy
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Phil's hiatus
- Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
- Residents on edge after Montgomery Co. flu deaths
- Girls' softball league evicted from their field
- Chevron puts downtown Houston building plans on hold
- East Texas company making healthcare affordable
- Video: Lovie Smith interviews with Texans
- Video: JJ Watt now a superhero
- Investigators: Driver drank cologne to hide alcohol smell
- Dozens of people injured in London theater collapse
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos