Facts and figures about the Washington Navy Yard
WASHINGTON -- Facts and figures about the Washington Navy Yard, site of a mass shooting Monday that left 13 people dead, including the gunman:
The Washington Navy Yard sits on a 41-acre site on the Anacostia River in Southeast Washington, four blocks from the Nationals Park baseball stadium and about 1 1/2 miles from the U.S. Capitol. It's surrounded by a fast-growing residential neighborhood.
More than 18,000 people work at the Washington Navy Yard, including 3,600 military and 14,500 civilian personnel.
The Navy Yard is the Navy's oldest shore establishment and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The shooting took place at Building 197, the headquarters of the Naval Sea Systems Command. About 3,000 people work there.
The Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) is the largest of the Navy's five systems commands, with a force of 60,000 military, civilian and contract personnel and a budget of nearly $30 billion, about one-fourth of the Navy's entire budget.
WHAT IT DOES
NAVSEA engineers, buys, builds and maintains ships, submarines and combat systems.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 54 min ago
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case 53 min ago
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick 30 min ago
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 48 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Teacher denies sex crimes in YouTube case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Spurs fans wearing team spirit on their heads
52 min ago