Facts and figures about the Washington Navy Yard
WASHINGTON -- Facts and figures about the Washington Navy Yard, site of a mass shooting Monday that left 13 people dead, including the gunman:
The Washington Navy Yard sits on a 41-acre site on the Anacostia River in Southeast Washington, four blocks from the Nationals Park baseball stadium and about 1 1/2 miles from the U.S. Capitol. It's surrounded by a fast-growing residential neighborhood.
More than 18,000 people work at the Washington Navy Yard, including 3,600 military and 14,500 civilian personnel.
The Navy Yard is the Navy's oldest shore establishment and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The shooting took place at Building 197, the headquarters of the Naval Sea Systems Command. About 3,000 people work there.
The Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) is the largest of the Navy's five systems commands, with a force of 60,000 military, civilian and contract personnel and a budget of nearly $30 billion, about one-fourth of the Navy's entire budget.
WHAT IT DOES
NAVSEA engineers, buys, builds and maintains ships, submarines and combat systems.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Vandals strike vehicles in Heights neighborhood 37 min ago
- Parts of Astrodome demolished
- Smoke prompts IAH Terminal B evacuations
- Police say girl finds her murdered mother 2 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 5 Things to Know for Today 21 min ago
- Man wakes up locked in jet at Bush IAH
- Big rig driver involved in deadly wreck due in court today 16 min ago
- Texas touts law protecting Christmas in schools 15 min ago
- Gary Kubiak thanks team, fans in full page ad
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle
- Just what we needed - a tougher cockroach
- The storm that wouldn't end 40 min ago
- Wrecker driver shot in NE Houston