Starbucks giving free coffee to those who pay it forward
WASHINGTON (KTRK) -- Want a free cup of Starbucks coffee? The chain is asking you to pay it forward!
From today through Friday, if you buy a drink for someone else, you can get a tall brewed coffee for free.
Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz says he launched the "pay it forward" campaign because the government shutdown has put us in a period of uncertainty.
Schultz said in a memo to staff that the offer is a way to help fellow citizens "support and connect with one another, even as we wait for our elected officials to do the same for our country."
A retail analyst says the offer won't likely do much to change attitudes in Washington but could make for great marketing.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder
- Jimmy Kimmel, crew in Austin for SXSW
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette' 7 min ago
- Parents distracted by devices, study says 5 min ago
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Colorado collects $2 million in recreational pot taxes 13 min ago
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie