Experts say One World Trade Center is tallest US building
CHICAGO, IL -- An expert committee of architects declares that New York's new World Trade Center tower is now the tallest building in the U.S., surpassing Chicago's Willis Tower.
The Height Committee of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat announced its decision Tuesday in Chicago.
The committee is widely recognized as the final arbiter of official building heights around the world. It has been studying whether a design change means the needle atop 1 World Trade Center is part of the actual building or merely the equivalent of a broadcast antenna.
The tower built on the site of the 9/11 attacks stands at a symbolically important 1,776 feet tall including the 408-foot needle. It officially would have been considered 1,368 feet tall without the needle.
Willis Tower is 1,451 feet tall.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Heavily tattooed man accused of stabbing boy
- Mom reunited with child after car theft
- Big facelift proposed for Bush Airport terminal
- Stolen park statue returned to Texas City
- School: Fourth-graders caught selling pot on campus
- Texans land 2 primetime games
- Video: Pope Francis stirs up a little controversy 58 min ago
- Van smashes into home in northwest Harris Co.
- Club's opening night ends in deadly gunfire
- Man wants to remove 'murder' tattoo before murder trial
- Boy, 9, sang gospel until abductor released him
- Child left sleeping on Pasadena ISD school bus
- Driver ends up in San Antonio swimming pool
- Newborn tips scales at 14.5 pounds
- Cabbies compete for ride business
26 min ago
- What should you know about ride sharing
48 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos