Experts say One World Trade Center is tallest US building
CHICAGO, IL -- An expert committee of architects declares that New York's new World Trade Center tower is now the tallest building in the U.S., surpassing Chicago's Willis Tower.
The Height Committee of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat announced its decision Tuesday in Chicago.
The committee is widely recognized as the final arbiter of official building heights around the world. It has been studying whether a design change means the needle atop 1 World Trade Center is part of the actual building or merely the equivalent of a broadcast antenna.
The tower built on the site of the 9/11 attacks stands at a symbolically important 1,776 feet tall including the 408-foot needle. It officially would have been considered 1,368 feet tall without the needle.
Willis Tower is 1,451 feet tall.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival 2 min ago
- HISD to decide fate of 2 schools at risk of closure 57 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns
- Gang members could be banned in parts of Harris Co. 58 min ago
- Family wakes up to stranger inside their SW Houston home
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 51 min ago
- Cops: 2 OD on heroin as kids play at McDonald's
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
31 min ago