'Tips for Jesus' man leaves tips worth thousands across the country
NEW YORK -- One man is choosing a most unusual way of spreading the gospel. He's going around the country leaving huge tips to waiters and waitresses worth thousands of dollars. He signs the bill, "Tips for Jesus."
"He said I'm going to tip you extravagantly, which people say a lot and then they don't," said Andrew Thomas, a waiter.
But this customer kept to his word and then some with a $3,500 tip on a $391 meal.
It happened Thursday night at "The Smith" restaurant across from Lincoln Center.
28-year-old waiter Andrew Thomas came to New York from California to learn cooking, but became a server because he thought he could make more money.
It seems like a good career choice.
"He introduced himself and said I don't want my name attached to it, just spread the word," Thomas said.
The good word comes from a mystery man who signed the bill "Tips for Jesus."
He posted the receipt on Instagram along with receipts from restaurants across the country, all with generous tips.
The heading on his page says, "Doing the Lord's work, one tip at a time."
"It happened right over here, where these two lovely ladies are sitting right now," a waiter said.
The Good Samaritan left $3,000 at a bar in Michigan, and a $1,500 tip at a San Francisco steakhouse.
Back at "The Smith" restaurant in New York, people were impressed.
Customers say the $3,500 tip has made them think of others this holiday season.
An act of kindness is inspiring them to pay it forward, one bar tab at a time.
So what does Andrew Thomas plan to do with his $3,500?
"I'm going to Mexico. I'm going to buy my mom something nice for Christmas, and I'm taking my girlfriend to Mexico," Thomas said.
A warm escape for the holidays, paid for by a secret man with big check book.
new york city, national/world
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths 40 min ago
- Texans release TE Owen Daniels
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options 34 min ago
- Pool area evacuated after strong chemical is leaked 1 min ago
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Tim Heller's weather forecast
49 min ago