Astronauts prepping for possible spacewalks
CAPE CANAVERAL, FL (KTRK) -- NASA could decide by tomorrow if it will need to carry out a number of elaborate spacewalks to repair the cooling issue on the space station.
Astronauts are preparing for possible spacewalks happening as early as this week to make crucial repairs.
They've been working around the clock since last week to figure out the best way to go about it. Last Wednesday, one of the two ammonia cooling systems on the U.S. side of the ISS shut down as soon as it reached its pre-set temperature limits.
Since last week, engineers have been trying to fix the problem remotely from Mission control, trying to regulate the cooling loop affected. At this time, at least two, if not three, spacewalks could happen in the near future.
The first spacewalk is scheduled for this Thursday, December 19. NASA is planning a briefing Tuesday or Wednesday, to announce their final decision.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 58 min ago
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case 57 min ago
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick 34 min ago
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 52 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Teacher denies sex crimes in YouTube case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Spurs fans wearing team spirit on their heads
56 min ago