Astronauts prepping for possible spacewalks
CAPE CANAVERAL, FL (KTRK) -- NASA could decide by tomorrow if it will need to carry out a number of elaborate spacewalks to repair the cooling issue on the space station.
Astronauts are preparing for possible spacewalks happening as early as this week to make crucial repairs.
They've been working around the clock since last week to figure out the best way to go about it. Last Wednesday, one of the two ammonia cooling systems on the U.S. side of the ISS shut down as soon as it reached its pre-set temperature limits.
Since last week, engineers have been trying to fix the problem remotely from Mission control, trying to regulate the cooling loop affected. At this time, at least two, if not three, spacewalks could happen in the near future.
The first spacewalk is scheduled for this Thursday, December 19. NASA is planning a briefing Tuesday or Wednesday, to announce their final decision.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company 11 min ago
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster 36 min ago
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshall: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Mark Kelly, twin brother enlisted for NASA study
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Will Justin Bieber be at Houston rodeo?
- David Tillman's weather forecast
16 min ago