Vegas cabbie finds and returns $300,000
LAS VEGAS, NV (KTRK) -- He may work in 'Sin City,' but a Vegas cabbie is being called an angel for what he did after finding a bag full of money in his back seat.
Gerardo Gamboa says he picked up a passenger who was carrying a brown paper bag, but the man ended up leaving it behind. Gamboa says he thought the bag was filled with chocolate.
"I just hesitated, said, 'What's in there? I want to know what kind of chocolate,'" he said. "When I put my hand in it, it's about this big of hundred dollar bills!"
There was a total of $300,000 in the bag, which was actually the winnings from a professional poker player.
Gamboa turned the money in and the passenger later came forward to claim the lost cash. For his honesty, Gamboa was named 'Driver of the Year' and took home a $1,000 reward as well as a steakhouse dinner for two.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area?
- Ike-damaged Galveston church gets facelift
53 min ago