Girl, 9, helps mom deliver baby in Chicago home
CHICAGO, IL -- A young Chicago girl got a real life lesson this week. She was at home in Little Village when her mother started to go into labor, and the 9-year-old jumped into action.
"She said she felt the baby coming out and I told her to pushed the baby out and I'll catch the baby. She got scared. And I catched the baby, grabbed the towel and wrapped her around," said Alyssa Meza, 9.
Alyssa Meza says she had seen a medical TV show where a baby was born with an umbilical cord around its neck and she knew what to do.
"The umbilical cord was actually around the baby. It was like two around. So I had to unwrap it a little and I ran next door to grab my neighbor because the baby was a little purple," said Alyssa.
Alyssa's aunt arrived after the delivery, and after a neighbor called 911.
"The firefighters, they said 'Your niece delivered the baby.' I was like 'No, she didn't,'" said Samantha Meza, aunt.
Baby Aaliyah and her mom were released late Wednesday afternoon from the hospital.
Mom and baby are doing well, and what a story the family will have to tell Aaliyah about her birth and her big sister.
"I expected it from her, but not as much maturity that she has shown me, at her age, very mature. I know she has a bright future ahead of her and I am very, very proud of her," said Monique Meza, mother.
Alyssa says she wants to be a paramedic someday. It seems she has already had her first patients.This story comes to us from WLS-TV, our sister station in Chicago.
national/world, leah hope
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase 8 min ago
- Photos: 7 big brands that are stuggling
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- Officer-involved shooting under investigation in SW Houston 1 min ago
- 'Dancing With the Stars' season 18 kicks off tonight
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI 13 min ago
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire
- Don't click on those Malaysia Airlines Facebook posts 45 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- Keep grays at bay with root touch-up products
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring
- Canada-Mexico flight makes emergency Montana stop