New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio set off a furor after using knife and fork to eat pizza
NEW YORK -- New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio got his pizza with smoked mozzarella, sausage and a dash of scandal.
The newly installed mayor unintentionally spiced up a political meeting at a Staten Island pizza joint Friday by digging into his slice with a knife and fork.
That's a no-no for many New Yorkers, who believe pizza should be folded and eaten with their hands.
Photos of a utensil-wielding de Blasio spread across Twitter and prompted mock outrage, some even calling for his impeachment. It was reminiscent of a "Seinfeld" episode in which characters make a stir by eating a candy bar with flatware.
De Blasio, who prides himself on his Italian-American heritage, later explained that he eats pizza the way they do in Italy. He starts with a knife and fork, then uses his hands.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
new york city, national/world
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Motorcyclist killed in NE Harris County wreck
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston