North Carolina mayor caught dancing on dashcam pleads guilty to drunk driving
WAXHAM, NC (KTRK) -- The mayor of a North Carolina town pleaded guilty to drunk driving charges this week after police dashcam video captured her joking and even dancing during a stop back in June.
Waxhaw Mayor Daune Gardner, 42, was pulled over after reportedly drinking at a local restaurant on June 10. On dashcam video, an officer could be heard asking her how much she's had to drink, to which Gardner replies, "Two drinks, a glass of wine."
Police say Gardner smelled of alcohol and was slurring her words so she was given a field sobriety test. During that test, Gardner is heard laughing and even seen dancing. Officials say her blood alcohol level resigtered .18.
In court Wednesday, Gardner pleaded guilty in exchange for having traffic charges dismissed.
As part of her sentence, the mayor will have to pay a $100 fine and complete 24 hours of community service. She will not serve jail time.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
north carolina, national/world
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 10 min ago
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop 8 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects