New York man accused of threatening President George W. Bush
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A New York man is in jail for threatening to kill former President George W. Bush.
According to a federal court complaint, Benjamin Smith threatened to kill, kidnap and inflict bodily harm on the 43rd president. Threats against U.S. presidents are a federal crime.
The Secret Service was alerted to Smith after his mother found a disturbing note.
Agents then discovered Smith sitting in his car in Manhattan Friday. They say he had with him a loaded .38-caliber rifle, two boxes of ammunition, a container of gasoline and a machete.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale