California boy, 4, fighting cancer loses dad unexpectedly
INVERNESS, CA (KTRK) -- Just when things appeared to be looking up for a little boy in California who is fighting a rare form of cancer, his father unexpectedly died.
ABC7 San Francisco reports that Zeke Powell, age four, was diagnosed last month with a rare cancer that attacked his muscles. It was already stage 4.
He began chemotherapy, which gave hope to the family that everything was going to be OK.
But things suddenly took a tragic turn south.
On Sunday -- just days after Zeke returned from his first round of treatment -- his dad, 43-year-old Ron Powell, died in his sleep of an apparent heart attack.
Ron was engineer and the rock of the family. The community is stunned, and they've pulled together to help the young family as they move forward.
Get more on this story, including how you can help the family, from our sister station, KGO-TV.
marin county, children, cancer, national/world
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 26 min ago
- Officers' body cameras raise privacy concerns 24 min ago
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Motorcyclist killed in head-on wreck in northwest Houston
- Search continues for clues in women's murders