Woman attacked by rabid raccoon in her own bed
A 73-year-old woman in Massachusetts woke up to a real-life nightmare. She was being attacked by a wild animal in her own home.
Virginia Ballou thought her cat had joined her in bed, but she wasn't so lucky. It was really a rabid raccoon on the attack, CNN reports.
She reached and tried to pry it off of her, but the adolescent female was latched onto her face with a firm grip on her mouth.
Finally, she was able to use her hands to pry its jaws open.
She tossed the raccoon onto the ground. It wasn't until that moment that she knew it was a raccoon.
CNN reports that the animal was captured and killed, and it tested positive for rabies.
Ballou needed 10 stitches on her lip and chin, and she suffered puncture wound and scratches on her fingers and neck. She will now have to go through a series of rabies shots.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing 36 min ago
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary 12 min ago
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Which food trucks had violations?
16 min ago