Groupon says Presidents' Day gaffe was no mistake
CHICAGO (KTRK) -- Groupon gave its customers a Presidents' Day deal to remember -- if nothing else but a quick lesson in American history.
The company's press release said it wanted to honor former president Alexander Hamilton by allowing users to take $10 off a $40 purchase at local businesses.
"The $10 bill, as everyone knows, features President Alexander Hamilton -- undeniably one of our greatest presidents and most widely recognized for establishing the country's financial system," the press release read.
But the problem was Hamilton was never a U.S. president. He was a founder of the country's financial system, but as the nation's first Secretary of Treasury.
But it appears Groupon knew that all along. The Chicago Tribune reports that the spokesman for the daily deals website confirmed the mistake was intentional and "an overwhelming success."
"Most Presidents' Day promotions make people fall asleep, so we wanted to do something different that was in line with our brand and sense of humor that got people talking and writing about Groupon," the spokesman said.
If Groupon decides to celebrate Presidents' Day next year by giving a $100 discount, just know that Benjamin Franklin was never president either.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead 59 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names 17 min ago
- Mateo states his case for cupcakes for dinner 35 min ago
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Woman takes out frustration on Pennsylvania reporter
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- David Tillman's weather forecast
43 min ago