Baby stops breathing on Miami freeway; photos capture rescue
MIAMI, FL -- Incredible pictures captured the moments when a baby stopped breathing during traffic along a busy Miami freeway.
An aunt was on babysitting duty when everything went wrong. Pamela Rauseo started performing mouth-to-mouth on her 5-month-old nephew when she noticed that he wasn't breathing and was starting to change color.
She got out of her car on the busy Dolphin Expressway and other drivers stopped to help her. Pulitzer prize-winning photographer Al Diaz happened to be a few cars back and captured some remarkable images.
Diaz alerted a police officer, who also happened to be driving by. The officer then took over the CPR and stabilized the baby's condition until more professional aid arrived.
The baby had been born prematurely and suffered an unknown health emergency. But thanks to the quick action of so many strangers coming together, the little boy is recuperating at a Miami-area hospital.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Fatal multi-vehicle wreck shuts down 290 at Grand Parkway 9 min ago
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged
- Police: Man suffocated son so he could play video games
- Houston's cardinal to attend popes'...
52 min ago